Voice of the Spirit, Gospel of the South is an album dedicated to the unshakable faith and spirit that June Carter and Johnny Cash shared throughout their marriage, and is a celebration of their love for traditional gospel music.
Produced by son, John Carter Cash, this classic collection showcases hymns that were Cash family favorites, now newly recorded by close friends and loved ones of this legendary family. Gathering at the rustic Cash Cabin Studios to compile this unique collection, Voice of the Spirit brings together a diverse collaboration of contemporary icons in gospel and country music that include:
Johnny Cash, Vince Gill, Mavis Staples, Larry Gatlin, Earl & Randy Scruggs, Rodney Crowell,Ronnie and Del McCoury, the Fisk Jubilee Singers and the forefathers of modern gospel, The Mighty Clouds of Joy, who dedicated their efforts to the victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
1. By The Side Of The Road - Mac Wiseman
2. Unclouded Day - Johnny Cash
3. Twelve Gates To The City - Mavis Staples
4. Over The Next Hill - Connie Smith
5. If I Be Lifted Up - Earl & Randy Scruggs
6. My Lord Keeps A Record - Ronnie & Del McCoury
7. We Will Overcome - Mighty Clouds Of Joy
8. Denomination Blues - Rodney Crowell
9. Take Your Burden To The Lord - John Cowan & Tony Rice
10. Diamonds In The Rough - Laura Cash & Larry Gatlin
11. Where The Soul Of Man Never Dies - Jon Randall & Jessi Alexander
12. No Grave Gonna Hold My Body Down - Fisk Jubilee Singers
13. What Are They Doing In Heaven Today - Vince Gill